Friday 22 January 2016

Look what Santa brought us.

Margaret masquerading as Santa Claus brought us a gift at Christmas. A Vinyl Record player.

























My initial response was a mild concern relating to the cost and whether the product was up to speed and up to scratch. Puns intentional !
I need not have worried, the three speed turntable not only played LPs, 45s and 78 rpm records it played my records. The sound quality was very good and despite the condition of some discs they played perfectly well. No snap, crackle, pop or audible static background accompaniment, I'm glad to say.
It opened up a whole past life and enabled me to listen once again to the 350+ albums I have and 200 odd singles. This was amazingly liberating and I can also record and digitise them on my computer. Brilliant. 
So if anyone has any old records they want converting, just let me know. We have the technology. 

The whole point of this preamble is by way of an introduction to today's :

Anyone who knows me well would realise it wasn't going to be to long before Fairport Convention turned up as a  Star Track . A few days ago I had dug out one their LPs from 1986 called "Expletive Delighted" and a particular track called 'Sigh Beg Sigh Mor'. This transported me back, as music does. So I searched for it on YouTube and luckily found a version that had a connection to the Fairports and their re-recording. 
A few years before Dave Swarbrick and Simon Nicol on their album "Close To The Wind" had recorded 'Si Bheag Si Mhor' (meaning 'Small fairy, big fairy' in gaelic). Same piece of music, composed by Irish harpist Turlough O'Carolan, just a different spelling. As this track also features Dave's Pegg and Mattacks from Fairport Convention it seems as close as I'd get. 
Mellow mood this week, but hooray, almost the end of January.


No comments:

Post a Comment