Wednesday 10 February 2016



Photo © Bill's Records 2016


For those of you still holding on to your vinyl record collection, whether for sentimental reasons or simply because you have the space and a record deck on which to occasionally play them, maybe thinking is it worth it. The current return of interest in vinyl music sales may have you wondering if you have 'cash in the attic' that is worth a bit more than you possibly thought.
On the other hand record collector's or dealers will offer to buy your entire collection for a lump sum, knowing full well there lurks within a gem or two of surprising value. A little knowledge therefore could be useful. I recently went into 'Sister Ray' record shop in Berwick Street, London and in a downstairs room their walls were covered with LPs that had some interesting price tags. Here's three examples:

 'Ogden's Nut Gone Flake' by the Small Faces.
£250.
The sticker says 'Original UK lilac label. Near Mint !'
Obviously this was an early release on Immediate Records, the pink or lilac label being significant and probably contributing to the value.
On this occasion my copy has a white label and is a mono version.






'Liege & Lief' by Fairport Convention.
£120.
The sticker reads 'Original Island Pink label.' 

This time I found that my copy meets this description. Kerching !
My record has been played, so isn't in mint condition but the sleeve is as good as new.








'Led Zeppelin 1' by Led Zeppelin.
£150.
Says 'Original Red & Plum label.'  Again this must have been the original pressing from 1969, as opposed to a later release or re-issue of this famous album. 


I'm glad to announce the copy I have is this original version. Dazed and Confused, you bet I was ! 






That's £270 for just two LPs! Naturally this is the tip of the iceberg and while it could be the majority of your collection is of little value, it's certainly worth checking, you never know what might be hiding away.
A friend recently told me he'd sold his entire record collection for £175. He knew he'd been ripped-off. I was mortified. No more sad stories, please.  

The main photo at the top, taken by me, shows about 140 LPs, not even half my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment