Friday 4 August 2017


… and then someone put on the Penguin Cafe Orchestra!
All very elegant English eccentricity or Avant-Pop as some would label it. First there's a track I already knew, then the one I heard played and finally another that was pointed out. In each case all of them come with a storyline…. I couldn't choose one in particular, so play all three tracks !

The one I knew 'Music for a Found Harmonium' - you may recognise it, as it's featured in many films and been adapted by various artists. Composed on an old harmonium found in Japan by Simon Jeffes. The 1989 BBC recording presents a great setting.


When I heard 'Perpetuum Mobile' play it reminded me of the harmonium track and there are similarities only it's strangely different with an unusual time signature. Same BBC show and set.


And finally the very odd 'Telephone and Rubber Band' - which I'd never heard of but is said to be the Penguin Cafe Orchestra's most famous piece. Using a telephone ring tone and rubber band (the title gives it away) as the backing rhythm. Nice old black and white movie images provide an interesting watch. It's mad, I love it.


No comments:

Post a Comment