Friday 22 September 2017


40 years ago this coming week I was all set to visit America for the very first time. I'd wanted to go for ages and finally on the 28th September 1977 I flew into San Francisco. It was the start of something that probably has never really ended. The 'wanderlust' is alive and still kicking me all over the place.
Arriving in 1977 meant I was a good ten years to late for 'The Summer of Love'. I'd loved the music and the message and of course the art that accompanied this time and though a bit young to be part of the scene the memory of flower power and hippies going to San Francisco was very strong. From here on I was California Dreaming - it just took me 10 years to be woken up. 

There's a whole generation
With a new explanation*

The UK singles chart in 1967 told the tale: Starting in June 'Whiter Shade of Pale' at number one for 6 weeks, followed by 'All You Need is Love' and by August Scott McKenzie was singing 'San Francisco (Be Sure to Wear Some Flowers in Your Hair)'. Followed by a session band called The Flowerpot Men with 'Let's Go To San Francisco'. Another song released in August yet didn't make the charts until November was the excellent 'San Franciscan Nights' by Eric Burdon & the Animals - let's go there!


Didn't you just know there'd be a VW painted with flowers in the video.

*Lyrics by John Phillips of The Mamas & the Papas, sung by Scott McKenzie.


No comments:

Post a Comment